Monday, May 4, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dad ("Pap")

Today is my dad's (and Claire's pap's) birthday. My dad is an extraordinary man (even though he probably doesn't think he is). He has been a faithful husband to my mom for 34 years, working hard so my mom could stay home and take care of my sisters and I. He has also been a selfless dad to three girls (he was hugely outnumbered), supporting us in all of our interests. He's killed millions of spiders (and other creepy crawlers), taught three teenage girls how to drive (yikes!), worked overtime for years without complaining about it, tried to teach us sports (some of us weren't very good learners in that area), took us for hikes and nature walks (and cleaned our muddy sneakers when we got home), taught us about birds and other wildlife, kept our cars (and now some of our houses) in good working order, and always made us laugh (or roll our eyes) with a good, corny joke. These are only a few of the things I appreciate about my dad. Now, he continues to be a supportive grandfather to Claire. He reads her stories (even princess ones) after a long day and long drive home from work, takes us out for breakfast many Saturday mornings, takes us birdwatching, and has even been known to be a bridesmaid in one of Claire's pretend weddings.
Dad, I hope you know just how much you are appreciated!! Happy Birthday!!

No comments: