Saturday, May 9, 2009

Celebrating Mother's Day



This Mother's Day, I want to highlight two females in my life. These two "women" are the most important "women" God has placed in my life. The first, my very own mother. The second, the one who God graciously gave me to make me a mother, Claire.

First, as I think about my mother, I can't help but think of her generosity. She gives financially, as well as of her time. My mom could have spent her inheritance in many ways, but she decided to pay off the college debt of all three of her daughters instead. Sacrificing an income as we were growing up, she stayed home to care for us. Even now, when she learns of a need (need is used loosely here) from one of her daughters, she is quick to step up and offer help. As a grandmother, she gives so much of herself to Claire. Sacrificing one of the "perks" of grand-parenthood - being able to enjoy grandchildren, but also being able to enjoy an empty (quiet) nest when they go home - my mom embraces having Claire and I live with my parents. Their home is far from quiet at times due to a learning 3-year-old, fully equipped with energy, laughter, singing and dancing, not to mention the inevitable temper tantrum. Yet my mom, who we are so blessed to have, seems to be blessed by us being here.

Another trait I see in my mom is that she is a great gardener. I admire how she toils in this nice, spring weather, not afraid to get her hands dirty (or run into a few worms and bugs). I know she didn't always have time to make our gardens so nice growing up. But I hope she knows that she was toiling a different garden, often getting her hands dirty and running into "worms" and "bugs" of a different sort, as she raised my sisters and I. Her time was well spent, even though I'm sure she didn't see the rewards so quickly as she would have in a flower garden.

I love you, Mom, and I thank you for sacrificing so much for us. Thank you for supporting me in my own mothering. You are a huge means of God's grace to me!

To the second "lady" in my life, my precious Claire. I thank God every day for this gift He has given me. I never imagined what being a mother would feel like until you came along. You have brought me joy in ways I wouldn't have expected. Your laugh lifts my spirits when they are low. At age three, you already encourage me with kind words. I mess up as a Mommy daily, but you are so quick to forgive me every time. I am so blessed and undeserving to have you in my life.

This Mother's Day, even knowing that I will toil myself in the soil of motherhood, I feel so privileged to do so. With what I have in Christ, I am so rich. With what I have from my mother and daughter, I am even richer yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to TWO special ladies! Yes, you are indeed richly blessed, and YOU, my friend, are a wonderful Mother yourself!
Love you - Beth