Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dreary Day



Today was a particularly difficult day for me. It was a battle for joy in many ways. As the psalmist writes, "My soul melts away for sorrow." Though I felt surrounded by darkness at times, God's Word was my comfort and my light. I was reminded that rather than dwelling on what's been lost to me in this life, God would have me "seek first the kingdom of heaven and righteousness." "The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away, blessed be the name of the Lord." What God took away from me was not eternal, and I am to long for that which is eternal. "It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes. The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Allie - I read the following quote by John Piper, commenting about the women of his church. When I read it, I thought to myself, "We have women like that too, and Allie is their leader!" Thanks for enduring all you have with such grace, my friend. Your life gives glory to God. Your crown will be loaded!!

"We have got a lot of strong women at our church. They bear a lot of things. They endure pain through marriages and through kids that are disabled…Strong women are magnificent testimonies to Christ because, if they are complementarian, they are combining things the world can’t explain. They are combining a sweet, tender, kind, loving, submissive, feminine beauty with this massive steel in their backs and theology in their brains." - John Piper

Yep..that's you Allie :)
Love you, my friend - Beth